Sunday, November 4, 2012

One of the classic exercises in life drawing is the reclining nude - also one of the most difficult poses to make interesting. I did these three studies in oil on canvas. The canvas is oil primed Belgian linen which is a beautiful surface to work on. The gallery stretchers are quite deep which gives a solid feel to the piece.

In this one the model is reclining on a sofa reading a book by Nick Hornby which gives me the title for the painting - How To Be Good. I suppose it could have been About a Boy...

A close up of the head and torso gives a more interesting composition than the full length of the figure. I call it simply Sleeping Girl.

The first two more literal or realistic studies led me on to a more graphic viewpoint and more vigourous colour and brushwork which I am calling Blue Bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment